Wednesday, June 25, 2008

air mattresses in the missions room

well contrary to what my schedule says, i am back at south hills baptist church in montana city, mt. this was the first stop we made as we started this summer, we did most of the decorations as well as some blitzing (passing out flyers door to door). canyon ferry road baptist, which is who we were scheduled to be with this week postponed their vbs and so south hills so graciously picked us up to work with them. we got here saturday morning at 10 and started decorating the church the moment we walked through the door! saturday night since i had finished what i was doing for the moment, i volunteered to cook the hotdogs for supper, not knowing what i was getting myself into for the rest of the week!! late saturday afternoon we were informed of our sleeping arrangements....on air mattresses that they just happened to find for us in the attic, in the nursery!! we put all our luggage in the library and we store all our mattresses in the missions room during the day...they do have a shower in the bathroom, as well as a washer and dryer and they gave us a car so that we could travel back and forth to helena to keep ourselves occupied during the days. the air mattresses are comfortable, i think...or either its just that i'm so worn out that i don't notice how uncomfortable they are haha


sunday morning at church during meet and greet time, this lady walks up to us and says, "which one of you is kristi" i raised my hand a little reluctantly, cause i mean doesn't that sound like something you hear when your in trouble?? so she proceeds to tell me that she heard i can grill really good and that she needs me to grill the hamburgers for everyone that is staying after church to help with the vbs set up. i did pretty good...only let one of the burgers slide through the crack...yikes!! so sunday night was the first night of vbs and the church feeds dinner at 5 every night before we start so about 4:15 she tells me that we should probably go and heat the grill up so that we can "bar-b-q" again (they never call it grilling - its bbq whether you put bbq sauce on the meat or not) so sunday night once again i grill hotdogs. Ally who was at orientation with us and is working with helena valley baptist church all summer is coming out to help so she and i got to catch up on everything while bbq-ed. i'm not sure how many kids we had sunday night but i would guess about 40-45. monday one of the ladies in the church took us out for lunch and ice cream. on our way back we stopped by her house to pray over her husband who has many health problems, including hepatitis C. it was an awesome privilege to be able to minister in that way!! we will be going to eat supper with them on friday night. monday night i found out that i had to grill once again. we had chicken for supper and the number of people that came was amazing, we cut all the chicken in half and actually ran out. i wasn't able to eat any so i whipped up some shells and cheese after everyone had left!! mmmmm good! luckily that was the last night we have to grill, so i get a little break from that!!
today we went out on the town. we picked up ally (she goes to ole miss, but is super duper cool) and we headed to a local montana eating establishment called the staggering ox. i ate one of the most interesting roast beef and turkey sandwiches i've ever seen in my life, (see picture below). after that i navigated around helena to try and find some places to shop...well obviously, they are few and far between!!! we went to the parrot, which is a bakery type deal. they make their one candies as well as have the really old fashioned ways of making fountain drinks where they put in the syrup then add carbonated water...now that was a sight to see. it kept us entertained for a while. then we went to the mall....well all four stores of it, it was pitiful!!! so we went to the other side of town and found target...we had more fun shopping in target than anywhere else haha it doesn't take much to amuse us!!

tonight there were 64 kids at vbs for the second night in a row!!! most of those kids are not members of this church, i'd actually venture to say that there are probably only 20-25 kids out of that number that attend church here. this is the biggest vbs we've seen! amy and elizabeth are teaching 1st and 2nd graders...on the first night they had 11 and last night they had 22!!!!!! HELLO!!! tonight was the night that the gospel was shared and out of amy and elizabeth's class there were 3 professions of faith...these are the first decisions we have seen, but we know that many seeds have been planted. One verse that i found the other day was
1 corinthians 3:7, it says:
"So neither he who plants, nor he who
waters is anything, but only
God, who makes things grow."

we realize it is nothing we are doing in montana that is bringing people to christ other than allowing him to work through us to accomplish his purposes. it is an awesome feeling to be that instrument. i hope you realize how much i covet your prayers. i appreciate so much all the encouragement that i have received from each of you and you will never know how much it has meant to me. please continue to pray for me as i am still seeking the Lord's will for my life...this summer is changing me and it is an awesome experience to see that in myself, but after this summer i'll be back to the same old routine and i want so badly for my life to be different. i think you all understand those feelings.

carousel...you can make up your own caption...we'd been in the mountains to long without contact with civilization that we acted a little crazy on it...doesn't take much to entertain us!


just doing my duty for the week...this was chicken night, they said it was good, but i wouldn't know...i braved the 100 mph wind to cook these little birds and i didn't even get to eat one!

i'm leading around the 3rd and 4th grade class this week and this is at the recreation rotation...from l to r: riyan (from california), grace, jewel, noa, olivia, hannah, mari (we stayed at her house the first time we were here) and seth. this was monday night and on tuesday night we had 14 kids in the class

the kids again - minus seth and hannah: mari, jewel, grace, noa, riyan, olivia

my canned sandwich from the staggering ox...quite interesting huh?? and notice the mason jar full of coke behind it haha i loved it

and y'all thought our energy was all natural...we frequently make elk shaped sugar cookies topped with cream cheese icing after vbs is over just to give us that extra boost! sorry i look so scary...yikes!!

- mom don't freak out, this is the first time we've done this...we usually eat fairly healthy, but the church at boulder gave us all cookie mix so we just had to make it so we won't have to carry it around everywhere :)

12 comments:

  1. "PRAISE GOD" for all of you. you are planting those seeds and it is wonderful that those seeds are growing. (and so are you) I love you and wish you all well. love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristi, I have cried and laughed reading your post. You are not only spreading the word in Montana, but you are spreading the word to others that read your blog. I was telling Kyle today I sure hope Mamie and Nolan turn out like you. You are a very special person and God knows that. I have read a couple of your post to Mamie, but I sure wish she could read and really understand what you are doing, because reading them to her is not really the same as her reading them herself. Hope all is well you, which I am sure it is. Take care, with love, alison

    ReplyDelete
  3. GIRLFRIEND I LOVE YOU- Hope you can feel a big hug! We will keep praying for rain on those seeds in Montana. Stay in His will and you will be all he wants you to be.
    As for the sandwich I am not so sure about that, it's looking weird but if you say it was good I know it was. Love Ya!
    P.S. You know I would have had to eaten the cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoying your reports. Sounds so exciting although I know you are physically give out. I feel like I am getting to experience first hand your mission adventures as I keep up with your reports. So glad you are getting the opportunity to take in some of the area sights. Keep up the great work and remember we are keeping you in our daily prayers. Love C & LL

    ReplyDelete
  5. kristi,I am sorry I havent written I am at your Moms reading your blog again. It is a blessing to know you realize your mission is all about God He is truly using you for His instrument Imiss you and hope you stay healthy. You will be home very soon. be a blessing and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristi, I finally have gotten caught up on the blog and decided I better post you a comment. I am so proud of you and continue to keep you in my prayers. You are so amazing and doing spectacular things up there!! I miss you and can't wait to have you back. Oh yea, I sent the word that you could grill good (even in storms). Love ya! Beth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kristi
    I have sent messages but do not see them. I am so glad God is using you in this way. You will never forget this summer that you have shared with these other shepards spreading Gods word.I wonder if i could make one of these sandwiches. It looks very good,just not sure where to bite first. Keep the news coming,we sure enjoy hearing from you. We love you and pray that all of you will stay healthy.
    Our Love
    Mammy & Bud

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sassifras I just heard that you had a big level breakfast today,hope they didn't think you where crazy but I know it was good. I think I could handle the sandwich with some peppers.We are praying every day for the shepherds,and the work that God has put before ya, stay in his will and plant the seeds. Still missing you, Kale is the only one I have to aggrevate. love you

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Kristi! Thanks for taking time to keep your blog updated. It is wonderful hearing and seeing what you are letting God do through you. I don't know if anyone told you about the 38 ladies and Thomas who went to Atlanta to the Deeper Still Conference. The speakers were Kay Arthur, Beth Moore, and Priscilla Shirer. They were incredible, but what was even more so was the bus ride home. I think we went through almost a whole box of Kleenex on the bus while we shared with each other what God put on our hearts at the conference as well as our burdens. Unfortunately, not everyone could fit on the bus, but from what I hear, they had their own crying experiences. Leave it to a bunch of women to get home teary-eyed and say we had a great time. We are planning a trip to Jackson in the fall. I hope you will be able to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Kristi -
    Just got a chance to read your update. From everything going on in Montana to the weekend we had - God is working all over the country!! I pray for you and those other girls way up there doing Gods work and trying to teach those little children God's word. I learned this weekend that we have got to use our bodies like a sponge and abosrb his word and find his truth and live, teach and follow the TRUTH GOD has set before us. I worry about all these little children who don't have a clue about our LORD and I hope that when ya'll leave up there Bibles are still opened and souls continue to be saved. I'm rambling, but this weekend I just had has touched my life tremendously, something I've never experienced before and I'M WORN OUT!!!! Anyway - I'm so thankful for you and what you're doing! We love you! Pam

    ReplyDelete
  11. KRISTI, I SO WISHED YOU COULD HAVE BEEN WITH US IN ATLANTA THIS PAST WEEKEND. WE DID GO DEEPER STILL WITH GOD. WE REALLY HAD AN ENCOUNTER WITH GOD. GOD'S SPIRIT IS SO SWEET AND FULL. SOME OF US AFTER THE AWESOME SERVICE SATURDAY NIGHT ENDED UP FLAT ON OUR FACES CRYING OUT TO GOD IN THE HOTEL ROOM. THE PRESENCE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT WAS SO STRONG ON US THAT SOME OF US WERE TREMBLING. IT WAS AWESOME. I KNOW THE 19,OOO WOMEN THERE WILL NEVER BE THE SAME. I HOPE YOU CAN GO NEXT TIME.LOVE YOU AMANDA

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, great blog, but I don’t understand how to add your site in my rss reader. Can you Help me please?
    consumer reports mattress

    ReplyDelete