Tuesday, July 1, 2008

just call me a mountain goat

think i could make it to the top of those rocks??? i don't know?!



"No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us."
-Romans 8:37

well, i have accomplished one of my goals in montana, now i only have one left. what is the one i accomplished you may ask...well, none other than climbing to the tip top of a mountain!!! today we didn't have an afternoon activity planned so Liz, the pastors wife, suggested that we climb the mountain. she had done it several times last year while training to go on a big camping/hiking trip (15 miles uphill one way - not me!!) but so they trained on mount helena, hiking it up to three times a weekend sometimes. so anyway after sleeping in a bit this morning we headed up around 1:15. i am not sure what time we actually started hiking but i'd say by at least 1:45 we were on the mountain. we picked the long easy trail of course. it was called the prairie trail for a reason, if you know what i mean! close to the top of the mountain it got pretty steep but other than that it wasn't too bad. (remember i am writing this after i accomplished the feat...if i were writing it during the hike i would probably have said it was like going straight up a wall. at least it felt that way because of the altitude. just as soon as you'd get going you'd be panting like a dying dog. so i took it slow and ally and liz kinda hung in the back with me. we'd pick a spot out as our goal, walk to it and then stop for a breather. seemed to work very well and if i wouldn't have been able to do that i wouldn't have made it. i would have told them to pick me up on the way back haha. but after the long strenuous hike we made it to the top!!!!!!!! just in time to see the thunderstorm begin to roll in. after picture time, we headed down....my favorite part, well besides sitting on the rocks on the top. we went down one of the harder trails and it was straight down the entire way...there would have been no way we could have climbed it! we walked in the rain all the way down the mountain...and i think that took like 30-40 minutes, so we were soaked by the time we got back. plus rain up here is not warm, it is freezing cold!! we had all piled up in a car that a lady from south hills is letting us use...it has no air and is quite an interesting car to say the least!!! so i drove all the way back to the church with 6 wet and smelly people in a car with no air conditioner while the windows were all fogged up and no one could see anything!! we made it safely, dont fret!!

the entire day was an experience but i am so glad we were able to do it!! i am so proud of myself too, because it was definitely a big feat for me to be able to do that!! all i got to say is next summer i wont be this big or out of shape - i dont care what i am doing, i wont be panting like a dying dog!! so heres the pictures - it was an awesome view!

liz, ally, amy and me just getting started good on the hike
little buck that was grazing right beside the trail

summit picture!!! me, ally, amy, elizabeth and casey WE MADE IT!!!

little perch with the thunderstorm behind me! YIKES!!

i came, i saw and i conquered!!


i love this pictures of the flowers on the overhang

7 comments:

  1. so this is the mountain you text me about. i am laughing about texting you back. it took me about 15 mins just to get the first message typed out to you. i am so proud of you and what you are doing this summer. i have read your post and i have thought about a lot of things. we are going to wiggins this weekend for nolan and mamie's birthday, wish you could be there, but we have plenty of birthdays ahead. how many times do you get to spend the summer in montana to spread the word of GOD!! love and kisses..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still laughing "mountain goat"! I have had one of those same experiences it is a great feeling when you reach the summit. It would be great training for you to try a few times a weekend, WHEW just wait til you get back to South Mississippi after enjoying that cooler weather. Glad you had an afternoon of fun that's great! I Love Ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girl, I just realized I posted my comment in the wrong spot. Oh well, I love that picture of the flowers growing in the middle of that rock. That is so cool! I am sure the view was worth it at the top, but I am not so sure I would have been in any shape to get there myself. Boy, I can't wait to pick on Pop tomorrow. It's almost 11:00 pm here and they are just pulling in the driveway!! Uh huh...they are starting to live on the edge a little. I'm gonna have to straighten them up. Haha...
    Catch ya later, Angie

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey kristi! the view from the mountain is aewsome and i like the flower pic too. God knew what He was doing. well this past weekend i went with the ladies group from our church to the beth moore conference in atlanta. it was an amazing trip. God opened my eyes to many things. you and mrs.jan have to come with us next time. we're all still praying for you. keep pressing on. love, regan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whats up Kristi! I am so proud of you for climbing that mountain. You should try surveying next summer and i promise you will be in shape to climb a mountain, walking through those woods and climbing over blown down trees will get your legs in shape real quick. Well continue to take pictures so us Big Level people can see God's beatuiful creations in the West. We all Love you! Especially your BUBBA!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on that mountain climb. I was tired just reading about it. I was so amazed and sad to hear about some of those responces (slamming doors), and low number in church and church activities in Helena. All say "hello. Getting ready for the $th tomorrow... Casey is flying to GA to visit Alicia, Colleen and Rusty are going to Flint Creeks with friends, Dale and I will be taking Annice to Hattiesburg to visit her daughter Peggy.
    Keep on spreading God's Love and Word. We love you. THe Bond family...dale, candy, casey, colleen, and rusty ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI TRISSY!! I finally got to look at your blog! It's really cool! I can't believe you climbed that mountain, it's a little bigger than i expected! Everything is going good in the big city of wiggins, just getting ready for the 4th! Me kale and regan are probably going to float around in water town on tubes an watch the fireworks tomorrow night, sounds fun huh! well im glad everything is going good! I miss you!! love ya bunches!

    ReplyDelete